Tavon Austin, the No. 8 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, has officially announced his retirement from professional football.


 

Tavon Austin, who played 113 NFL games across four teams from 2013 to 2021, officially announced his retirement from football on Tuesday.

At 34, Austin’s most recent stint was with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2021, where he recorded 24 receptions for 213 yards and a touchdown over seven games. He briefly joined the Buffalo Bills' practice squad in 2022 but did not play last season.

Drafted eighth overall in the 2013 NFL Draft, Austin spent his first five seasons with the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams before moving to the Dallas Cowboys (2018-19), Green Bay Packers (2020), and Jaguars.

Known for his versatility on both offense and special teams, Austin amassed 244 receptions for 2,239 yards and 16 touchdowns in his career. He also gained 1,361 rushing yards with 10 touchdowns and scored three punt return touchdowns in his first three seasons, including a memorable 98-yard return as a rookie.

In an Instagram post, Austin reflected on his decision to retire, saying, “No matter how hard you work or how badly you want something, sometimes God has other plans. Deciding to step away from football has been one of the toughest choices I've ever made. But after an incredible ten years, I am officially retiring from the NFL.”

He expressed gratitude, saying, “First and foremost, I want to thank God for turning my childhood dream into a reality. I’m blessed beyond measure! Thanks to my fans who supported me through everything; without you, there would be no career. I also want to thank all the organizations, coaches, and staff who believed in me. I hope it was clear that I played with all my heart every day, no matter the circumstances.”

In other NFL news, Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell assured that running back Jahmyr Gibbs will be “fine” following a hamstring injury sustained during Monday's practice. Campbell noted that the team is confident about Gibbs’s recovery, despite concerns from fans and media.

Gibbs, a Pro Bowl running back, impressed in his rookie season with 945 rushing yards, 10 touchdowns, and 316 receiving yards with a receiving touchdown. Additionally, Campbell mentioned that second-year quarterback Hendon Hooker, who had a concussion, might play against the Kansas City Chiefs in their upcoming preseason game.

The Lions are scheduled to open their season against the Los Angeles Rams on September 8.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url